Amendment Process Announcement for 4909 - National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2017
May 9, 2016
I would like to remind all Members that amendments to H.R. 4909, the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2017, are due by 10:00 a.m. on Wednesday, May 11, 2016. Last year, the Committee received more than 300 amendments to the bill.
To avoid long wait times on Wednesday and to assist the Committee with processing the large volume of amendments, I strongly encourage all Members to submit any appropriately formatted amendments ready for submission as soon as possible.
The process for submitting amendments remains the same as previously announced.
- Members should draft their amendments to the text of Rules Committee Print 114-51, which contains the text of H.R. 4909 as reported by the Committee on Armed Services.
- Members must submit a searchable electronic copy of the amendment, which should be provided by the Office of Legislative Counsel, via the Rules Committee’s website.
- Members must also submit 30 hard copies of the amendment, one copy of a brief explanation, and an amendment login form.
- Both electronic and hard copies must be received by the date and time specified.
- Members should use the Office of Legislative Counsel to ensure that their amendments are drafted in the most appropriate format.
- Members should check with the Congressional Budget Office for a preliminary assessment of their amendments’ budgetary effects.
- Members should check with the Office of the Parliamentarian and the Committee on the Budget to be certain their amendments comply with the rules of the House and the Congressional Budget Act.
If you have any questions, please contact myself or Stephen Cote of the Committee staff at 225-9191.